A burn, an injury or surgery– they can all cause your skin to scar. If your scar is large in size or is in a place that you can’t easily hide it, you may be looking for answers on how to make it less noticeable or better yet go away completely. The answers may be a little complicated. Unfortunately, scars don’t ever go completely away, but there are ways that you can help to soften and flatten them to make them look and feel better. Just as wounds heal in 3 phases, there are 3 steps to help get rid of your scars, too.
As wounds begin to heal, the collagen that helps to form a scar does not always heal in a neat smooth layer and too much collagen may cause the wound to become thicker and redder in appearance. Scar treatment helps to influence collagen so it doesn’t cause adhesions(bands of scar tissue underneath the skin) and the appearance of the scar is softer and smoother. A well-healed scar is flat and no longer red.
The more diligent the treatment, the better the outcome is in most cases. Scar therapy should continue until you no longer see improvement in the feel and appearance of your scar. Depending on your skin type and the location of the scar, this can last from 2 weeks to 2 years.
3 Steps To Scar Treatment
- Moisturizing the new skin – Though any type of lotion or oil can be used to moisturize your scar and skin around it, a good quality moisturizer that does not have added chemicals or perfumes is recommended to avoid irritation.
- Massage to breakdown the scar tissue – Massage should begin once your wound has healed and all stitches and bandages have been removed. Massage is not just about rubbing in the lotion or oil. A firm massage that moves the underlying layers of skin helps relieve adhesions. Massage should be done frequently – 3 to 5 times a day for 5 to 10 minutes. Massaging with a massage brush or tool is recommended for a deep, but comfortable massage.
- Applying pressure to keep the scar flat and smooth – The third part of a scar therapy program is applying a constant, even pressure over your scar. Medical grade silicone gel sheets are proven to flatten scars, reduce redness and itching and may prevent the formation of thickened or hypertrophic scars. Silicone gel sheets, unlike the gels that come in tubes, keep the skin moist and because the sheets can adhere to to your skin without tape, they apply gentle, even pressure. Silicone gel sheets can be worn full time, removing them for massage, exercise and washing. Gel sheets should be applied to clean, dry skin.
The Scar Rx Treatment Kit includes everything needed for the 3 steps to softer, less noticeable scars. Use the SkinSational Massage Brush and SacredEarth lotion or oil to relieve adhesions and hydrate your scar and surrounding skin. Apply the Gel Mate silicone gel sheet to soften and smooth your scar, reduce the formation of hypertrophic (thickened) scars and improve the appearance.
Available in one convenient kit, these products are also sold separately.
- SkinSational Scar Massage Brush – The soft, flexible head of the SkinSational Massage Brush acts like dozens of tiny fingers to safely and gently massage your new or old scars.
- Gel Mate Silicone Gel Sheet – Self-adherent on one side and backed by bacteria resistant cloth, Gel Mate silicone gel sheeting increases healing, reduces itching and improves the color and appearance of your new and old scars.
Looking for More Information on Our Scar Products? Ready to Buy?
Click on the image below