All you have to do is go online to see how many options there are for thumb braces. Not to mention all the different thumb braces you can pick up at the drugstore. Custom made, ready made, splints for resting your thumb, braces to support your thumb… the list is long! So how do you find the answer to the question – “what thumb brace is best for thumb arthritis?”
While it really does depend on which part of your thumb is affected and the severity of your arthritis- in general you should look for a brace that supports or immobilizes the thumb joint(s) that hurt.
Looking for more information on which thumb brace is right for? – Download our ebook
What to Look For in a Thumb Arthritis Brace
Here are few things your should look for in a thumb brace based on which thumb joints hurt:
1. A hand based brace that supports the base of your thumb is best when you have pain at the CMC joint. The CMCcare Thumb Brace and the 3pp Design Line Thumb Splint are good examples for this type of pain.
2. If the pain is mostly at the middle or “MP” joint- look for a brace that supports that joint and the CMC joint. The Fix Comfort Thumb Brace provides firm support to stabilize the middle and base of your thumb.
When Does Your Thumb Hurt?
Does your thumb hurt only when you are active or does it also hurt at rest?
1. If your thumb hurts only during activities, a light support soft or flexible brace may be all you need to support the joints while allowing you to move and use your hand
2. If your thumb hurts even when you are not using it, a firm support brace that immobilizes the thumb to allow it to fully rest may be what you need
Thumb Braces for Different Activity Levels
Most thumb braces are designed for different levels of support for different activity levels. In general, you should look for adjustable braces that let you control how much compression and support they provide.
- If you will be wearing the brace during daytime activity, look for lightweight options that are designed to support while still allowing some motion
- When you have to do something that requires dexterity, look for non-bulky materials that let you hold things in your hand so you are not tempted to take it off
It’s always recommended that you consult with your health care provider before beginning any treatment. When looking for what thumb brace is best for thumb arthrtis, it really depends on your pain level. Often you can start off with a light support brace that provides compression to reduce your pain, but still allows you to function.Like what you’ve read? Click here to subscribe to the blog!
Have a Minute? View our Thumb Brace Videos!
Looking for More Information on Thumb Braces?
Click on the image below
Our blogs are educational in nature and are not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Because your condition is unique to you, it is recommended that you consult with your health care provider before attempting any medical or therapeutic treatments. We are always happy to answer questions about products mentioned in our blogs, however, we cannot provide a diagnosis or medical advice.