If you have CMC Thumb Arthritis, you’ve most likely done your homework on how to manage the pain at the base of your thumb. Through your research you probably learned that a brace can help rest your thumb and reduce your pain to allow for better movement and less wear and tear on the thumb joint. You probably also discovered, there are dozens and dozens of thumb braces to choose from. From soft fabrics to molded plastics, how do you narrow down your options to choose the right one? To help, we’ve compiled a list of the top thumb braces for CMC thumb arthritis.
Like other types of arthritis, CMC joint arthritis can be mild or severe and can get in the way of your daily activities. Depending on how you’ll be wearing the brace, you may want to consider one that allows some motion to let you move with it on and a more supportive brace to wear at night to rest your thumb. While wearing a thumb brace won’t provide a cure, it can help reduce your pain and lessen the progression of arthritis so you have fewer problems later in life.
Top 5 Thumb Braces for CMC Thumb Arthritis
Let’s take a look at the top thumb braces for CMC thumb arthritis: (In no particular order)
1. CMCcare Thumb Brace By Basko
Provides excellent targeted support to the base of your thumb to relieve pain, without limiting motion
- Smooth rounded edges and an adjustable stay molds comfortably to your hand
- A simple squeeze contours the brace snuggly around your thumb for a custom fit
- Lightweight and waterproof It can be worn under gloves and in water
- Removeable & replaceable straps can be adjusted from either end
- Available in 3 sizes – Small, Med & Large
Pros: Durable brace has adjustable & replaceable straps that can be changed when wet or worn. (Brace comes with one additional replacement strap and two interchangeable closure tabs)
Cons: For those with bony changes caused by severe arthritis the brace may need to be adjusted by a healthcare professional who specializes in fitting splints
2. Comfort Cool Thumb Restriction
Provides gentle compression that helps relieve thumb discomfort associated with CMC joint arthritis
- Supports the thumb CMC joint while allowing full finger function
- Contoured strap wraps around the thumb and the first metacarpal for direct support
- Neoprene with terry cloth liner helps keep skin cool and comfortable
- Reinforced stitching allows the splint to be trimmed below the thumb MP joint if desired
- Available in 9 sizes for each hand
Pros: Available in Plus sizes – which are a half size bigger in the hand and a full size larger in thumb to accommodate enlarged thumb conditions
Cons: Neoprene fabric tends to be bulky and the brace and straps attach to velcro tabs which can limit the adjustability
3. 3pp Design Line Thumb Splint
Fully adjustable brace lets you decide how much compression and support you need to relieve your thumb arthritis pain
- Adjustable wrap around straps let you choose the amount of support for your level of activity
- Made from a light stretch material, provides compression without having to over tighten
- Soft foam lining is breathable to keep your skin comfortable and dry
- 4 style options: Red Trim, Black Brushed, Zebra, Leopard
- Available in 3 sizes – Small, Med & Large
Pros: Easy to wear, comfortable brace offers an alternative to other “orthopedic splints by adding a touch of style
Cons: Not available in youth or x-large sizes
4. Push Metagrip
Discreet and durable thumb brace provides relief from CMC osteoarthritis pain and optimizes function
- Full palmar support and double straps maximize stability
- Embedded metal insert offers a custom fit
- Provides CMC stability without impeding other joint movement
- Provides long term durability, resisting abrasion
- Available in 3 sizes – 1 through 3
Pros: The brace supports the base joint of the thumb without hindering you from most daily activities
Cons: Velcro straps are not removeable or replaceable if they get wet or worn; the brace crosses the palm which may make it harder to hold things in your hand
5. Fix Comfort Thumb Brace By Orliman
Fully cushioned thumb brace provides firm support that extends just below the wrist, to allow rest and reduce your pain from CMC Thumb Arthritis
- Soft edges and 3-layers of sponge, foam and a velour interior offer superior comfort
- Patterned “air holes” help keep hands dry & fabric clean
- Light metal frame can easily be shaped to your hand for optimal support
- Adjustable sizing – fits either right or left hand
- Two Sizes Fit Most Hands
Pros: Open palm design provides full movement for fingers while holding thumb in place
Cons: Two sizes may not fit large or very small hands or forearms; not waterproof
While it’s always recommended that you consult with your health care provider before beginning any treatment, we hope this list provides helpful information to assist you in finding the best thumb brace for you.
Like what you’ve read? Click here to subscribe to the blog!
Have a Minute? Watch our Thumb Brace Videos!
Looking for More Information on Thumb Arthritis Braces?
Click on the image below
Our blogs are educational in nature and are not intended as a substitute for medical advice. Because your condition is unique to you, it is recommended that you consult with your health care provider before attempting any medical or therapeutic treatments. We are always happy to answer questions about products mentioned in our blogs, however, we cannot provide a diagnosis or medical advice.